Thursday, August 1, 2013

Arrowmont Summer 2013: Day 5

Another rainy morning today, which upset our plans to knit outside before lunch for our plein air assignment. If you haven't read the previous post, the assignment consists of us choosing a natural texture (bark, grass, mold, etc.) to try to replicate with the new dimensional techniques. I chose to replicate a branch with white lichen on it. At first I was a little bored with the assignment, but as I began mixing yarn and adding ruffles and bumps to the knitting, I really got into it! It is like sculpting and painting all at once.
My wire knitted sculpture, my image of lichen on a
twig, and my replication of the lichen in knitting.

Charles Gandy's replication of a leaf.
After we all finished our plein air knitting, we had a small critique then we were able to start experimenting on a project of our own. I decided to work with sewing thread and metal wire and create a delicate structure, while also creating tension by using such different materials.
My thread and wire project.
During this time my classmates also explored with various materials. During this time of sample making and creation Adrienne recommended some really great books for inspiration to experimental/sculptural knitters. A few of the books I had actually heard of before, but it's always good to look back at the old and get inspired again.

My favorites from Adrienne's book list:

-The Culture of Knitting by Joanne Turney
-In the Loop: Knitting Now by Jessica Hemmings
-Knitting New Scarves by Lynne Barr

For a break we all walked down to Arrowcraft, a store near campus that showcases the work done at Arrowmont. There was a bunch of interesting locally made items. Woven coasters, knit shawls, loads of local hand spun and dyed yarn (even more that the Smoky Mountain Spinnery), unique metal jewelry, and wooden handicrafts are to name just some of the items you can find in Arrowcraft. 
Arrowcraft Shop

After a hard days work of knitting, I went to the auditorium for a presentation by the Bill Griffith Art Educators Fellowship recipient Eric Rempe, a very accomplished ceramicist who works mostly with black and teaches high school ceramics in California. Following the presentation it was time for STUDIO VISITS! All the students were able to walk around to all the classrooms and see what the other classes were up to. First stop was the glass studio. In this class the students were learning how to create life-like glass beads.
Check out these ladies and their awesome shades while they make beads!
I then headed to the fiber studio to see the natural dye samples all laid out for display. 
Some of Pauline Verbeek-Cowart's naturally dyed
felted weavings. Beautiful!
Next was the metal studio where the students created automatons, which are small sculptures that move when the gears are turned.
Some automatons including artist and teacher Michael Croft
I went to the ceramics/clay building next. The ceramists sure do have a nice space to work in and the students work is so impressive. I will always be impressed with ceramics.
Pretty spacious studio!
Finally I made it to the wood studio, I didn't get to see much work but the studio area was well equipped with big intimidating machinery. I am obviously not well versed with wood working terminology.
Wood studio!
As I was typing this I realized I didn't get to see the collage classes work. That will be a trip for tomorrow! Now it's on to sleep and dreams about knitting with thread and wire.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment